Monday, October 20, 2008

Lots of work!

I know dad had/has a lot going on back at home, but kinda slipped him the idea of coming back to Pittsburgh with Michelle and I after Nick's wedding to spend a week helping me to finish the nursery. It was with our utmost thanks that he accepted the invitation. The deal was to supply dad with food, beverage, a place to sleep and a trip home, in exchange for his time and effort getting the nursery together. Flights to Binghamton were outrageous; flights to Scranton, much more reasonable! So it worked out that when the week was over, he could fly from PGH to Scranton and Mom would pick him up from there. Thanks mom! Anyway, we got back from NJ on Saturday evening. The work began first thing Sunday morning. While I was at church teaching Sunday school, dad got right into things, sanding the windows and walls (just where he left them last time he was in town!!!). That afternoon, we worked on cutting and installing the baseboards and other missing trim pieces. By evening we were able to put a coat of primer on the walls and the unfinished wood. It was great. I took off from work, Monday and Tuesday to spend time with dad and get as much done as possible. Monday we painted the entire room. Super fast, very easy and great results. Tuesday we installed the carpet. It was the first time I had done carpet (maybe dad too?), but it came out looking wonderful. We put down the tackless strips, a pad and then the carpet. For the rest of the week, I had to go back to work, but dad kept at it, taking care of may little details and installing the ceiling tiles. I still have to take pictures of the completed ceiling. Coming soon! I have also since managed to get the baseboard heater installed and the ceiling fan. Both work wonderfully. Just don't bring any inspectors over to see my breaker box :o). Now for the pictures! Dad priming Primer everywhere paint color: Manhattan Mist, AKA smog. Actually it is quite pleasant and relaxing. It has a nice hint of blue to it. tackless strip, so called because the use of it replaces tacks, the old method for getting carpet to stay in place! dad stapling the pad down The carpet is installed! the best part about the carpet is that when dad, michelle and i went to home depot to pick out some carpet, it took michelle all of 30 seconds to find something that would go well in the baby's room! fantastic!

No comments: