Thursday, September 25, 2008

I felt like being sick

So I took off from work on Tuesday. Conveniently, Michelle didn't really have to work on Tuesday either except for a short staff meeting. No really, I didn't feel that well and it was nice to stay home. Anyway, like my father always did, I decided it was time to can some tomatoes. Although I think can is not the correct term, to me that implies metal containers. So, I jarred tomatoes. Not nearly as many as my dad used to do, but it's a great way to preserve some of our summer bounty. Pretty simple it goes. 1. wash the tomatoes 2. quarter, fifth, eight, whatever, the tomatoes 3. put tomatoes in a pot and cook for a while 4. pass tomatoes through a food mill to remove skins and seeds 5. return tomatoes (now we can call it juice) to the pot and simmer. 6. fill a huge a$& pot up with water and bring to a boil 7. wash and sanitize the jars to be used for jarring 8. put a small amount of lemon juice in each jar 9. fill jars with juice, leaving 1/2" head space 10. screw on lids and rings 11. put the jars into boiling water with your bare hands. 12. let them boil for a bunch of time 13. ok, that is too many steps, go look it up online. 14. blah blah blah, me oh my. beer?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha I love the description :) Do i get any of these jarred tomatoes?