Monday, January 19, 2009
As if we haven't had enough fun
Let me explain. When we were discharged from the hospital, Connor's bilirubin was 10. The doctor was OK with letting us go home but scheduled a home nurse visit for Sunday to check and see how he was progressing. A wonderful nurse, named Marsha, came and took some blood and measured his height, weight, heart rate, etc. Marsha commented on how yellow/orange he looked. We understood that he would likely need to a Wallaby blanket to help get the bilirubin down. Worst case, we would need to go back to the Hospital and put him in an incubator for treatment. Connor's blood work was processed at West Penn and his bilirubin went from 10 to 16.5. Dr. Meyer out of East Liberty Family Health Care called us in about an hour to present the options for treating Connor. Hopeful for home treatment with a blanket, we received a call back from Dr. Meyer a short time later saying that he was unable to find a blanket that could be delivered and that we should pack up for the hospital. :o(. Strangely enough, as we were packing for the hospital, no more than ten minutes after talking to Dr. Meyer, I got a call from Apria Health Care, they wanted to know our address so that they could deliver us a blanket. Huh? Needless to say, in nearly two hours of confusion between Apria's offices in Sewickley, Monroeville and one of their drivers, they could not deliver us a blanket. boo hoo. Off to West Penn. And that is where I am sitting (and Michelle sleeping) right now. Connor is in the incubator getting a tan. He has been very well behaved. They measured his bilirubin at 17.9 when we were admitted, but at around 4Am is was back down to 16. The incubator and Wallaby will do the trick, it's just a question of how long will it take. It's likely that we will be here for all of today, perhaps even through the night. Term babies hit their bilirubin peak at 3 days, premature babies at 5. So they may want to keep treating him until that 5th day. I think that would be tomorrow. I would love to show a picture of Connor chillin in the incubator with his shades on, but didn't bring the camera! Perhaps I will go home and get it shortly, especially if we end up staying another day. Anyway, as a side note, when Marsha visited us she commented on just being out in Bridgeville to check on a family with quadruplets. I'm like oh, you don't happen to mean the Lemonovich family!?? Indeed. I work with John and his wife had quads at 26 weeks. Small world!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey Guys....congrats!
Keep up the blog....I love scrolling thru ours to see how much Cooper has grown and changed.
Take Care,
Bedil
Love and prayers to all 3 of you! Connor looks adorable in his shades getting a tan. :)
Post a Comment